Kuwaiti Parliament Speaker in Egypt for Talks on POWs
Kuwait's parliament speaker Jassem Khorafi held Tuesday in Cairo talks with Egyptian Prime Minister Atef Obeid and speaker of the Shura Council, Mustafa Helmi that will focus on "Kuwait prisoners still captive in Iraqi jails."
Kuwaiti News Agency (KUNA) said that Khorafi, who arrived in Cairo on Sunday, will meet later in the day with foreign minister Amr Moussa.
KUNA quoted Khorafi as holding "the Iraqi government responsible for the suffering of the Iraqi people."
Earlier in the day, Khorafi met with the Arab League secretary general Esmat Abdel-Meguid, reported Xinhua news agency.
The speaker's talks with Abdel-Meguid, according to the agency, focused on Kuwaiti prisoners and those missing in action (MIAs).
"The issue is not only a political one but also a humanitarian one," the Kuwaiti speaker was quoted as saying.
Relations between Kuwait and Iraq have been strained since Iraq's invasion of Kuwait in 1990, which triggered the Gulf War in 1991 to drive the Iraqi troops out of Kuwait.
Kuwait says that more than 600 of its own and other countries' nationals disappeared during the Iraqi occupation from August 1990 to February 1991, and that the POWs and MIAs are still being held in Iraq.
Iraq, however, says that there had been prisoners, but it lost track of them during an uprising by Shiite Muslims in southern Iraq following the country's retreat from Kuwait.
Iraq has so far only submitted files on 68 of those POWs and MIAs, according to Xinhau -- Albawaba.com
© 2001 Al Bawaba (www.albawaba.com)
- Kuwait Parliament Speaker Calls for Wisdom in Handling Case of Diplomat Who Attended Forum With Israeli Figures
- Kuwaiti Parliamentary Delegation in Egypt for Talks on Bilateral, Regional Issues
- Kuwaiti MPs Hold Talks With Iranian Shura Council Speaker
- Kuwaiti ambassador, Algerian parliament speaker discuss relations
- IMF negotiations straining Egypt's parliament and Shura council relations