Lahoud ِAgrees to Mass Funeral for War Dead
An official mass funeral was given the go-head signal by Lebanon’s President Emile Lahoud for those missing and kidnapped during the civil war, who were announced dead by the government last week, the Daily Star reported Tuesday.
Although the families had earlier set August 12th for the event, but the spokesperson for the Committee for the Wartime Missing and Displaced, Wadad Halwani said this date is too close.
“We should know by next week. It doesn’t really matter if it’s next week or next month as long as the president adopts it. The important thing for us is that the funeral is an official one. The families need this,” she said.
According to Halwani, Lahoud also agreed to the families’ demand to review the information collected by the commission investigating the missing and kidnapped.
Lahoud also agreed that the date the official announcement was made July 25th, 2000 would be the time of death of the missing and kidnapped – Albawaba.com
© 2000 Al Bawaba (www.albawaba.com)
- Lebanon mourns Hariri assassination; Syrian VP says Hariri killed due to ”political role”
- Syrian army takes hold of key central town
- Three More Palestinians Killed Wednesday as Diplomacy Battles to Gain Upper Hand
- US Questions Extra Israeli Settlement Spending as Violence Continues in Palestinian Lands