At least 20 Iraqis killed in blast near Karbala as two US soldiers die
At least 20 Iraqis were killed in Iraq when a munitions depot exploded, the Polish spokesman for the multi-national force in Iraq disclosed.
"About 20 people got into a fortified building shortly after midnight (early Sunday) and caused an explosion in the huge munitions depot in the desert, 180 kilometers southwest of Karbala," Colonel Robert Strzelecki was quoted as saying Sunday by the Polish news agency PAP.
Meanwhile, a US soldier died on Saturday from wounds sustained in a roadside bomb attack west of the Iraqi capital of Baghdad last week, the American military said on Sunday.
A military statement said the US soldier, who was attached to Task Force "All American", was injured last Tuesday in a bomb attack.
Elsewhere, another American soldier was killed and 12 wounded in a rocket attack Sunday on an Army base in central Iraq, the U.S. military said.
The rocket hit a logistics support camp in Balad, some 80 kilometers south of Tikrit. Two of the injured soldiers were in serious condition. (Albawaba.com)
© 2004 Al Bawaba (www.albawaba.com)
- US Army: 15 soldiers killed in Iraq since Friday
- Over 20 Iraqis, 10 US troops killed
- Iraq: Three US soldiers killed, seven wounded in separate incidents
- Attack on Polish military camp south of Baghdad: At least 11 Iraqis killed, more than 100 occupation soldiers wounded
- Iraqi resistance fighters kill 19 Americans in three seperate attacks