Lebanese army raids Tripoli neighbourhoods
Sniper activity renewed on Thursday in the northern city of Tripoli as the army began a series of raids to detain offenders and seized weapons from a depot in the wheat market.
According to a communique issued by the army the arms depot included a quantity of explosives, local-made mortars, rifles and ammunition and other military equipment.
The statement pointed out that depot belongs to Ziad Allouki.
The army vowed to continue pursuing gunmen, warning that it will not hesitate in responding to those who are violating security.
The state-run National News Agency earlier reported that the army patrolled the streets separating the rival neighborhoods of Alawite Jabal Mohsen and Sunni Bab al-Tabbaneh.
Media reports said that an officer and several soldiers were injured in the wheat market and in Bohsas after unknown assailants opened fire at their patrol.
The news agency reported that the residents of the wheat market blocked the road in the area with burning tires to protest the arrest of several people, prompting the army to open fire in the air to disperse them.
Traffic and most markets, shops,schools and university campuses opened their doors as usual in the city.
However, several media outlets reported that assailants torched shops in the northern city to force closure.
On Wednesday the Army Command vowed in a statement that it will take decisive measures to address the thorny situation in Tripoli away from any political interference.
Later, the NNA reported that a 4x4 flipped on al-Mallouleh bridge after snipers targeted it.
The international road linking Tripoli with Syria was also blocked.
For the first time last month, supporters and opponents of Assad lobbed mortar shells and fired heavy machine guns at each other.
The latest confrontations come after a brief lull in the violence between the two sides, following a flare-up last month that left 31 people dead and more than 200 hurt.
A statement was issued after a meeting in Tripoli's Dar al-Fatwa lauding the role of the army and security forces in preserving security.
“The measures should be comprehensive and reach all Lebanese territories,” Sheikh Mohammed Imam, who read the statement said.
The attendees called on security agencies to be “transparent” to avoid strife.
“We urge Tripoli residents to avoid strife and stress that the army preserves Tripoli's security and that of Lebanon,” Imam added.
- Lebanese army clash with gunmen in Tripoli
- Hand grenades, gunfire in Lebanon's Tripoli leave one injured as violence continues
- Casualty count rises in Lebanon's Tripoli amidst renewed round of sectarian clashes
- One dead, several injured as clashes engulf Lebanon's Tripoli
- Tripoli rocked by more sectarian clashes