Lebanese Civilian Injured by Israeli Landmine
A Lebanese farmer was slightly injured Thursday after driving his tractor over a landmine left from the Israeli occupation of southern Lebanon, police said.
The device went off when Mohamad Hussein Ghabris, 35, drove across a field in the village of Kfar Rumman, at the periphery of the former Israeli-occupied border zone in southern Lebanon, they said.
Ghabris was taken to hospital after receiving slight wounds to the face, stomach and legs, they said.
On Wednesday, a 10-year-old boy lost three fingers and suffered wounds in the face and legs when a booby-trapped toy that he had found near his home in Ain Bouniya, east Lebanon, exploded, police said.
The boy, Hussein Ali Saifeddine, underwent surgery in a nearby hospital, they said.
The number of accidents involving landmines and booby-trapped toys in southern and eastern Lebanon has increased alarmingly since Israeli troops withdrew from the region on May 24 after a 22-year occupation.
Since then, nine civilians have been killed and about 52 injured by exploding mines and booby-trapped objects.
The United Nations Interim Forces in Lebanon estimates that Israel left behind 130,000 mines in southern Lebanon -- TYRE, Lebanon (AFP)
© 2000 Al Bawaba (www.albawaba.com)