Lebanese soldier killed in attack near Syrian border
A security official said gunmen have attacked a Lebanese military post in the country's east, killing one soldier and injuring another. According to him, the machine-gun attack took place at dawn Wednesday in Lebanon's eastern province of Hermel.
The army casualties were identified as Saadallah Khalil Yazbek, who was killed in the incident and Ahmed al-Khatib, who was hurt.
The official conveyed soldiers fired back at the attackers, who fled.
According to Naharnet website, the Lebanese troops were deployed to intercept smuggling across the borders with Syria. The army outpost targeted by the attack is 200 meters west of the borderline with Syria at the remote village of Quld al-Sabaa in the Hizbullah stronghold of Hermel province.
- Yemen: Al Qaeda fighters kill eight troops
- Gunmen kill three soldiers in east Lebanon
- Reports: Israeli forces attacked on border with Lebanon; One soldier killed
- Israeli soldier, Lebanese boy killed on border as Israel warns Syria, Hizbullah
- Syrian Islamist rebel groups claim responsibility for Lebanon rocket attacks Tuesday