Lebanese soldier kills one, injures four in shooting spree in east Beirut
A Lebanese soldier has opened fire at colleagues in a military barracks east of Beirut, killing one and wounding four before fleeing, an army statement said Tuesday.
The shooting took place shortly before midnight Monday at the army's al-Raai al-Saleh barracks in the capital's suburb of Dekouane, according to the statement, cited by The Associated Press. It was not clear what was the motive behind the shooting, but authorities began an investigation, it added.
It said Hussein al-Khalaf randomly fired at colleagues, instantly killing Antoine Kawdar and lightly injuring four others. The wounded soldiers were being treated in hospital, the statement added.
A manhunt is underway to capture Khalaf, it said. (Albawaba.com)
© 2002 Al Bawaba (www.albawaba.com)
- Shooting spree in northern Beirut kills one, wounds others
- Israeli soldier, Lebanese boy killed on border as Israel warns Syria, Hizbullah
- At least four dead in Syria as Assad speaks on reforms
- One Soldier killed, another injured, in north Lebanon shooting
- One killed as Palestinians, Arabs mark "Land Day"