Lebanese soldier kills one, injures four in shooting spree in east Beirut
A Lebanese soldier has opened fire at colleagues in a military barracks east of Beirut, killing one and wounding four before fleeing, an army statement said Tuesday.
The shooting took place shortly before midnight Monday at the army's al-Raai al-Saleh barracks in the capital's suburb of Dekouane, according to the statement, cited by The Associated Press. It was not clear what was the motive behind the shooting, but authorities began an investigation, it added.
It said Hussein al-Khalaf randomly fired at colleagues, instantly killing Antoine Kawdar and lightly injuring four others. The wounded soldiers were being treated in hospital, the statement added.
A manhunt is underway to capture Khalaf, it said. (Albawaba.com)
© 2002 Al Bawaba (www.albawaba.com)
- Eight S. Korean killed in shooting rampage near border
- Iraq: Two American soldiers killed, two wounded
- Four Iraqis, U.S. soldier killed in separate explosions north of Baghdad
- Court charges Israeli soldier of killing British peace activist in Rafah
- Attacks on occupation forces in Iraq intensify: At least one US soldier killed southwest Baghdad