Palestinian leadership, family of suspected Beirut bomber Adnan Mohammed disavow him
The Palestinian leadership and the family of suicide bomber Adnan Mohammed, who targeted the Iranian embassy in Beirut earlier this week, disavowed him on Sunday after a similar move by the relatives of the other bomber.
The leadership reiterated its condemnation of the attack and stood by Lebanon and its leaders in “confronting criminal groups that have no religious or patriotic belongings.”
“The cowardly act is a private action … and serves only the enemies of our cause,” it said in a statement.
Mohammed's family also “condemned with the strongest terms this criminal act,” which it said served Israel.
The family extended condolences to the relatives of those killed in “the cowardly act.”
It also condoled the Islamic Republic over the death of Ibrahim Ansari, a 54-year-old Iranian diplomat, in the bombing.
“This personal act has nothing to do with the family and its patriotic history in addition to its martyrs in resisting the Zionist enemy,” said the statement.
Mohammed's relatives also thanked the security and social leaderships of the town of Baysariyeh and mainly the municipal chief for “expressing their understanding to this private act which is far away from our values.”
“Our choice was and will always be the resistance,” they said.
On Friday, the family of Moein Abu Dahr, the Lebanese bomber, “strongly” condemned in a released statement the deadly explosions.
"We are deeply saddened that one of our relatives is accused of being behind the Bir Hassan explosions,” the statement posted on several Sidon-based websites said.
“We condemn this awful crime and we do not have enough words to describe it, offering our condolences to the families of the victims,” the statement added.
Lebanese investigators have identified the two suspects in the bombings of the Iranian Embassy in Beirut's southern suburbs through DNA testing.