Lebanon: Explosion kills soldier
A Lebanese soldier died by a blast at dawn Saturday in the north of the country, the military said. Privately owned Future TV reported that the blast was caused by an explosive planted at an army position in the town of Abdeh. A military statement identified the victim as Osama Ahmed Hassan, 24.
According to the AP, the army sealed off the area, blocking roads leading to the targeted position, which is on the main highway to Syria, some eight miles from the border.
Abdeh is near the devastated Palestinian refugee camp of Nahr el-Bared,
- Lebanon: Four troops die in clashes with Fatah Islam
- Lebanon: Soldiers search for Fatah al-Islam men as leader death confirmed
- Lebanon: One soldier, few Fatah-Islam fighters killed in camp clashes
- Lebanon: Senior Fatah Islam members captured
- Lebanon: Two soldiers killed in north, blast targets U.N. forces in south