Lebanon marks 5th anniversary of Hariri assassination
Tens of thousands of people gathered in Beirut Sunday to observe the fifth anniversary of the assassination of former Prime Minister Rafik Hariri. Although turnout was huge, it was estimated to be less than in previous years.
This year's anniversary comes after Prime Minister Saad Hariri reconciled with Damascus, whom he has openly accused of killing his father. According to the AP, Hariri on Sunday spoke of a new stage in Lebanon's relations with its neighbor. "In all truth, honesty and responsibility, I am keen on keeping this window open, and on building a new era in Lebanese-Syrian relations, from one sovereign, free and independent state to another," he said.
- Lebanon marks 2nd anniversary of Hariri assassination with harsh criticism against Syria, Hizbullah
- Lebanon marks 4th anniversary of Hariri killing
- Over one million attend memorial rally in Beirut on anniversary of Hariri assassination
- Calls for unity in Lebanon on anniversary of Hariri assassination
- Beirut: Coalition marks Hariri death as Nasrallah vows Israel's end