Lebanon's Nusra claims responsibility for southern Beirut bomb attack
Nusra Front in Lebanon, an offshoot of the radical Syrian rebel group, claimed responsibility Tuesday for a suspected suicide attack in the Beirut southern suburb of Haret Hreik, where Hezbollah enjoys broad support.
“We were able to respond to the massacres committed by Iran's party against the children of Syria and of Arsal with a suicide operation that targeted the heart of its southern suburbs,” a statement posted on the group’s Twitter account said.
“We call on the Sunni community in all Lebanese areas to unite their ranks to confront the party of the devil,” it added.
The statement also attached several photos of what the group said were pictures of dead Syrian children.
Tuesday's attack, which occurred on the bustling street of Al Arid, killed at least four people including a teenage girl and wounded 34 others.
Last week, the group claimed responsibility for a suspected suicide bombing in the northeastern town of Hermel in retaliation to Hezbollah’s military involvement in Syria.
- Nusra Front claims another suicide bombing in Beirut
- Nusra claims responsibility for Damascus bombing
- Syrian Islamist rebel groups claim responsibility for Lebanon rocket attacks Tuesday
- Syrian teenager killed by Nusra Front in Lebanon
- Lebanon: Al Qaeda-linked group take responsibility for Beirut bombings as death toll rises to four