Lebanon starts trial pumping of water from the Wazzani despite Israel objection
Lebanon began Wednesday the trial pumping of water from a key border spring despite Israel's warnings it would constitute grounds for war.
The trial was meant to test water pumping from the Wazzani source to a main tank about 1.5 kilometers away, AFP reported. The test was implemented by technicians in the presence of Qabalan Qabalan, director of the state Council of the South and the contractor of the project, Sharif Wehbe.
The move came after the return to Lebanon late Tuesday of US State Department water expert Charles Lawson to continue seeking a compromise in Lebanon's water dispute with Israel.
Lebanon intends to pump millions of cubic meters of water a year from the Wazzani, a tributary of the Jordan river, which in turn flows into Israel's primary water reservoir. (Albawaba.com)
© 2002 Al Bawaba (www.albawaba.com)
- Nasrallah: Hizbullah fighters in full readiness to counter Israeli attack on Lebanese pumping station
- Israel Retreats from ‘Water War’ with Lebanon
- 'This is Lebanon': why water taps are drying out
- Lebanon begins pumping Wazzani water
- April 9: Where are the Arabs heading to and from where? A few questions…(Part I)