Lebanese army prevents Syrian opposition fighters from crossing the border
The Lebanese Army Intelligence apprehended seven Syrian nationals while trying to infiltrate illegally into Lebanese territories by evading checkpoints.
According to the Central News Agency, the seven Syrians were trying to enter the southern border town of Shebaa illegally by dodging army checkpoints that are distributed in nearby areas.
A security source told the news agency that the army intelligence ambushed a group of Syrians, which included Syrian opposition gunmen.
Preliminary investigations revealed that another group of suspects escaped the ambush while several gunmen retreated.
The sources said that the precautionary measures in the area aim at restricting the entrance to Lebanon through army checkpoints after thousands of Syrians entered Lebanon via illegal crossings.
The town of Shebaa has seen a massive influx of refugees.
- Nassib border shutdown will choke regional exports: Lebanon
- Syrian opposition demands investigation into ambush of Islamist fighters
- Clashes between Lebanese army and Syrian rebels break out at the border
- Syrian army closes border crossing into Lebanon
- Hezbollah, Syrian army bombard strategic border town: security sources