Lebanon: Three dead in Palestinian refugee camp clashes
Three people killed during armed clashes in a Palestinian refugee camp in southern Lebanon. At least seven others were wounded.
Palestinian sources in Ain al-Hilweh refugee camp said among those killed was Abul Haijah, an officer in the camp's security committee of Fatah movement.
They said two attackers, recently dismissed from Fatah, entered Abul Haijah's office and opened fire with automatic machine guns, killing him instantly and injuring five other people inside the office. Other reports said the two were members of the islamist Usbat al-Ansar group.
The sources said one assailant fled and the other was seized.
After the attack supporters of Abul Haijah started shooting indiscriminately and firing rocket propelled grenades inside the camp.
A 14-year-old Lebanese girl identified as Mariam Quteish was killed by a stray bullet while in her home and another Palestinian man was also killed. Two others were wounded. (albawaba.com)
© 2004 Al Bawaba (www.albawaba.com)
- Clashes resume in Lebanon largest Palestinian refugee camp
- Firefights in Lebanon's largest refugee camp; at least two reported killed
- Heavy fighting in Lebanon's Ain el-Hilweh camp: At least eight people killed
- Two members of Palestinian security force injured in refugee camp
- One killed, Two Injured in Palestinian Infighting at Refugee Camp in South Lebanon