Car bomb rips through Libyan foreign ministry
Libyan firefighters extinguish a fire caused by a powerful blast near a foreign ministry building on September 11, 2013 in the eastern Libyan city of Benghazi. (AFP)
On the anniversary of last year’s attack by militants on the U.S. consulate in Benghazi, a powerful blast on Wednesday caused serious damage to a foreign ministry building in the eastern Libyan city of Benghazi.
Witnesses speaking to AFP news agency said the blast appeared to have been caused by a car bomb. It was not immediately known if the blast had resulted in casualties.
The explosion comes on the first anniversary of an attack, which killed four Americans, including the ambassador Chris Stevens.
An AFP photographer said a large section of the foreign ministry building had been destroyed and parts of the nearby local headquarters of the central bank seriously damaged.