10 killed in Libyan car bomb
At least 10 soldiers have been killed after a series of car bomb explosions rocked a military base in the eastern Libyan city of Benghazi, a report says.
Several car bomb attacks targeted the Libyan army academy in the restive city of Benghazi on Monday, killing at least 10 soldiers and wounding over a dozen more, Libya's state news agency, LANA, said quoting hospital sources and a security official.
The first explosive-laden car detonated in front of the academy’s front gate as soldiers emerged from a graduation ceremony. One or two other bombs blew up almost at the same time, wounding at least 13 people.
No group or person has yet claimed responsibility for the deadly attack.
The incident marks the latest in a series of attacks in Benghazi since the 2011 revolution that toppled former ruler Muammar Gaddafi.
Earlier this month, unidentified gunmen killed a French citizen, while police found seven Egyptian Christians shot dead execution-style on a beach outside Benghazi.
Since August 2013, rebels have managed to seize three major Libyan ports.
The rebels refuse to lay down arms despite efforts by the government to impose law and order in Libya’s volatile east.
The Libyan General National Congress (GNC) has given the militia groups controlling Libya’s eastern oil ports two weeks to lift the blockade of crude terminals or face fresh military action.