Libya denies 23 Egyptians were killed in Tripoli rocket attack
Whilst Libya has denied that any Egyptians were killed in Sunday´s rocket attack in Tripoli, Egypt has nonetheless advised all its citizens in the area to immediately evacuate (Mahmud Turkia / AFP).
Egyptian Ambassador to Libya Mohamed Abu Bakr says Libyan authorities have informed the Egyptian foreign ministry on Monday that there were no Egyptians killed in the Tripoli rocket attack reported on Sunday, state news agency MENA reported.
However, other media reports showed that around 23 Egyptian workers were been killed after a rocket attack hit their farm homes.
Abu Bakr, who is currently working in Cairo, said that the Libyan interior minister has informed him via a phone that there were no Egyptians reported to be killed in the rocket attack taking place in Tripoli's western Karimiya.
Abu Bakr also stressed that the Egyptian authorities have been in contact with Libyan hospitals and the forensic authorities to check whether or not Egyptian workers were among the casualties.
He added that the Egyptian foreign ministry has received confirmation from Tripoli hospitals that they have not received any Egyptians from the Karimiya rocket attack, but that they did receive the body of an Egyptian who died in other clashes near the Tripoli airport.
Abu Bakr also highlighted that the Egyptian Foreign Ministry has advised all Egyptians living in Tripoli and Benghazi to immediately evacuate.
He added that some Egyptians have begun moving to Tunisian borders and others have been trying to evacuate to safer Libyan cities.
Abu Bakr also stated that the Egyptian FM has sent a mission to Tunisian borders to help Egyptians willing to return back to their homeland.
Last week, however, Egypt's foreign ministry warned firmly against any travel to the country amid the deadly militia violence that left at least four Egyptians week in the volatile city of Benghazi, a hotbed of instability.
The International Organisation for Migration estimates that 330,000 to 1.5 million Egyptians worked in Libya up until the ongoing unrest that began following the NATO-backed uprising that toppled Gaddafi in 2011. The number of Egyptian expats has sharply dwindled since.
At least 50 have been killed in the capital since the latest bout of violence began two weeks ago, leading to the cancellation of most international flights.