Libya's interim PM refuses to form government, steps down
On Sunday, al-Thinni announced on the interim government's website that his decision was related to an armed attack on his family in a residential neighborhood in the Libyan capital Tripoli.
Al-Thinni said the Saturday night attack has terrorized people and put the lives of some at risk.
The top interim official also said that he had made his decision "to protect the interests of the country and so as not to drag different sides into fighting when there can be no winner."
Al-Thinni, however, added that he will stay as caretaker until a new premier is appointed.
The country’s defense minister under ousted premier Ali Zeidan received a temporary mandate after the country’s head of state Zeidan was sacked last month.
The parliament passed a vote of no-confidence against Zeidan after a standoff between the government and a militia group in the eastern port of al-Sidra.
Libya has been witnessing numerous clashes between government forces and rival militia groups, who played a key role in the 2011 popular uprising that toppled former dictator Muammar Gaddafi.
Nearly three years after the fall of Gaddafi, the country is still grappling with rising insecurity.
The former rebels refuse to lay down arms despite efforts by the central government to impose law and order.
Thousands of angry Libyan demonstrators have recently taken to the streets in different cities to protest against lack of security across the North African country.