Libyan airstrikes hit Daesh stronghold in Sirte
The empty streets of Sirte, Libya. (AFP/File)
Reuters reports that Libyan forces launched airstrikes against Daesh in Sirte on Sunday.
Jamal Zubia, foreign media spokesman for Libya's self-declared government in Tripoli, stated that at least 18 militants were killed in the strikes.
A Sirte resident spoke to Reuters and confirmed that at least one civilian was killed in the airstrikes. The strikes hit multiple locations in and around the city.
Airstrikes in Libya are increasing, but Daesh maintains a strong presence in the country.
In February, the US carried out airstrikes on Sabratha, a northwestern city occupied by Daesh, killing at least 40 militants.
- Libyan troops advance against Daesh stronghold Sirte
- Daesh in Libya: US launches airstrikes against militants in Sirte
- Libyan forces close in on Daesh in Sirte stronghold
- Three days of fighting kill more than 100 in Daesh’s Libyan stronghold: report
- Libya: National unity forces launch airstrike on Daesh in Sirte