Life imprisonment for ex Turkish Military Chief
İSTANBUL (CİHAN)- On August 5, Turkish court sentenced 70-year-old ex-Chief of General Staff of Turkey Ilker Basbug to life imprisonment over a military coup attempt by Ergenekon.
A number of high-ranking Turkish servicemen were also sentenced to life imprisonment together with Basbug.
The court viewed Ergenekon as a terrorist organization.
It is reported that 21 people were acquitted in the case.
The judicial case on the organization of a campaign on discrediting the ruling Justice and Development Party in Turkey has been on going for several years. General Basbug resigned in 2010.
- Lebanonese Court Sentences Two Former SLA Men to 20 Years
- Jordan’s Security Court Plans Retrial of Alleged Terrorist Group
- Turkish Court Sentences Three for Supporting PKK
- Turkish Prosecutors File another Case against Former Party Leader
- Turkish Court Sentences Police Officers for Killing University Student