List of proposed cabinet members presented to Arafat
Palestinian prime minister-designate Mahmoud Abbas presented a list of proposed cabinet members to President Yasser Arafat on Sunday that includes reformist legislators, Palestinian sources said.
Abbas, also known as Abu Mazen, decided to name himself interior minister, the sources said.
"Abu Mazen presented the list to the president (Arafat) and it will be discussed in tonight's meeting (of Arafat's Fatah Central Committee)," cabinet minister Nabil Shaath told Reuters.
The Palestinian legislature could be asked to ratify the cabinet on Monday if the Central Committee approves the ministerial list, the sources said.
"This (new) cabinet represents a serious attempt to go back to the peace process and to implement the road map. This is a reformist cabinet in all areas," Shaath said.
The cabinet list includes several legislators, such as Ziyad Abu Amr and Nabil Amr, who have been demanding reforms to root out corruption in Palestinian Authority institutions since 1997.
Reformist Finance Minister Salam Fayyad will retain the high-profile post to continue working on making Palestinian Authority finances more transparent, the sources said.
Major-General Nasser Yousef, head of the Palestinian national security forces, was named vice prime minister. (Albawaba.com)
© 2003 Al Bawaba (www.albawaba.com)
- Palestinian legislators reject Arafat key demand regarding powers of PM
- Fatah lawmakers agree to support new Palestinian cabinet
- Palestinian political crisis: Arafat, Abu Mazen consider new compromise deal
- Fatah approves formation of new cabinet; Islamic Jihad claims settlement attack
- Amid internal crisis: Palestinian Prime Minister, emergency cabinet sworn in