L&T bags Rs. 355 crore orders for Delhi Metro Phase-II
Larsen & Toubro Limited (L&T), India’s leading engineering and construction company, has bagged three orders amounting to Rs. 355 crores from Delhi Metro Rail Corporation (DMRC) for the second phase of the Delhi Metro project. These orders will be executed by ECC, L&T’s Construction Division.
With the successful commissioning of Phase-I of Delhi Metro, DMRC has taken up implementation of Phase-II with 2010 as completion target in time for the Commonwealth Games to be held in New Delhi.
Two of these orders for L&T are direct contracts pertaining to construction of underground stations at Udyog Bhavan and Green Park. In addition to these stations, tunnels of approximately 1 km will be built by L&T using cut-and-cover technology.
As a part of a joint venture, L&T will execute a third order in association with DYWIDAG, Samsung, Shimizu and IRCON. Valued at Rs. 490 crores, this involves construction of two underground stations at Hauz Khas and Malviya Nagar. The total length of this tunnel will be 3.10 km and construction will be done by tunnel boring machines. L&T’s portion of this order is Rs. 127 crores.
All the three contracts will be executed by L&T in a stringent time frame of 38 months.
Mr. K.V. Rangaswami, Member of the Board & Head – Construction, L&T, said, “It is a matter of great pride that L&T was associated with DMRC in the successful completion of many of its projects in Phase-I. The recent contracts under Phase –II are an affirmation of our good standing with DMRC”.
L&T executed the following projects under Phase-I:
• Underground Mandi House Station, executed by cut and cover tunnelling method
• The Yamuna Bridge constructed using the incremental launching technique
• The elevated rail corridor of 1.65 km between Yamuna Bridge and Tis-Hazari including 3.5 km of embankment works
• Construction of six underground stations and twin tunnel system (6569 m long) under MC-1B in JV with five international contractors
• Construction of embankment including major and minor bridges in Shahdara-Tis Hazari section.
The total value of all orders executed by L&T in Phase-I is around Rs. 700 crores.