\'Martyrs of Al-Aqsa\' Brigades Claim Responsibility for Assassination of Media Top official
The Palestinian Brigades of the Martyrs of al-Aqsa Group claimed responsibility Thursday for the assassination of the general-coordinator of Palestine's television and radio, Hisham Mohammed Makki, the day earlier, according to statement by the group.
"We were responsible for carrying out the sentence of the people and killed Hisham Makki, who practiced sex, stole money, and was corrupt," said the statement, faxed to AFP and Reuters.
The group has claimed several attacks against Israeli targets since the eruption of the Palestinian Intifada.
Masked gunmen assassinated Makki in a beachfront hotel in Gaza City in an attack the Palestinian Authority blamed on "traitors and collaborators."
The Israeli army has denied any responsibility for the killing.
A statement issued by Israel's military forces said that "the security forces had no connection with this incident."
Israeli sources told Haaretz that "despite incitement broadcast by the Palestinian media, Israel would not risk assassinating a journalist with no direct connection to acts of violence."
Late November, Al Aqsa Martyrs launched a bitter attack on the Palestinian Presidency Secretary, Tayeb Abdul Rahim, for a meeting he held with Israeli officials at Erez.
The Group, which called for the resignation the secretary, charged that Abdul Rahim was corrupt, and having extra-matrimonial sexual relationships – Albawaba.com
© 2001 Al Bawaba (www.albawaba.com)
- Al Aqsa Martyrs Brigades claims responsibility for shooting attacks in West Bank; Four Israelis killed
- Al Aqsa Martyrs Brigade Claims Responsibility for Monday Shooting Attacks
- \'Intifada Martyrs\' Group Claims Attack on Kahane
- 'Aqsa Martyrs’ Assail Palestinian Presidency Secretary
- Six Israelis Killed in Banquet Hall Shooting Attack; Al-Aqsa Martyrs Brigades Claim Responsibility