Mexico to close embassy in Riyadh
The Mexican embassy in the Saudi Arabian capital of Riyadh will shut down by the end of July for economic reasons, ambassador Edgardo Flores Rivas told Sunday's edition of Arab News.
Rivas said the decision was taken "in light of predictions the country (Mexico) would face economic difficulties next year. So precautionary measures are being taken to avoid additional burden on the 2003 budget."
The Mexican embassy in the Egyptian capital of Cairo will look after the 300 Mexicans in Saudi Arabia, but the embassy of another Latin American country in Riyadh might be asked to do the job, Rivas said.
Rivas added that four more Mexican embassies would also be closed, without naming the countries. (Albawaba.com)
© 2002 Al Bawaba (www.albawaba.com)
- American embassy, consulates in Saudi Kingdom to reopen
- British embassy: Suspicious object under car in Riyadh - - not a bomb
- US issues warning of attack in Riyadh
- Fearing terror attacks: U.S., UK and Germany close missions in Saudi Arabia; Reports: More Al Qaeda suspects detained
- Afghan embassy in Saudi Arabia reopens