Minister: Kuwait Hunting for More Suspects in ‘Terror’ Group
Kuwait's security forces are still hunting for more suspects in an alleged terrorist group, as the emirate has contacted Iran to extradite its fugitive Moroccan ring leader, the interior minister has said.
"We have put our hands on the main infrastructure of the network, but there are other 'elements' who have not been arrested yet," Al-Siyassah daily quoted Sheikh Mohammad Khaled al-Sabah as having told a parliamentary panel.
"It's a long way to go, because the network has branches and roots which we want to cut. The issue is complicated and requires more time to resolve," the minister told parliament's interior and defense committee.
The Gulf Arab emirate has already arrested seven members of the group, all Kuwaitis, who were allegedly plotting to carry out suicide attacks on US military targets in Kuwait and the region.
The minister told the committee he has contacted the Iranian authorities for the extradition of the unnamed Moroccan ring leader who allegedly fled to Tehran using a fake Saudi passport.
Sheikh Mohammed said investigators have not yet established the source of the 133 kilograms (293 pounds) of powerful explosives and 1,450 detonators, seized from the group.
Press reports in Kuwait said the group is made up of Islamic activists connected to the Saudi dissident Osama Bin Laden, who on Monday denied any link with them, or the attack on USS Cole in Yemen last month.
Bin Laden, the suspected mastermind of 1998 US embassy bombings in Africa that killed more than 220 people, is living in Afghanistan as a guest of the ruling Taliban militia -- KUWAIT CITY (AFP)
© 2000 Al Bawaba (www.albawaba.com)