Minister: Lebanon Must Wipe Out Pot Crop
Lebanonese Interior and Municipalities Minister Elias Murr stressed Wednesday the need to swiftly eradicate the nation's growing marijuana crop, but said the move should accompany a “socio-agricultural” solution.
Commenting on reports of divergent views within the government on the issue of destroying the crop, Murr said that the As Safir daily on Monday had only partially quoted his remarks on the subject, said the Daily Star.
As Safir had quoted Murr as saying that “we will not kill our citizens to satisfy donor countries that have made pledges that were never fulfilled.”
But Murr said the marijuana crop should be destroyed quickly, since Lebanon wanted to preserve its credibility.
He said the operation should be coupled with a socio-agricultural solution providing for alternative crops to help poor farmers – Albawaba.com
© 2001 Al Bawaba (www.albawaba.com)
- Marijuana Crop Ignites More Gov’t-Hizbollah Conflict in Lebanon
- Lebanese Minister Blames Donor Nations for Return of Bekaa Pot Crop
- Israeli Residents of Border Towns Call for 'Wiping out’ Lebanese Villages in Case of Attacks
- Helping nations to grow crops will reduce hunger
- Western Diplomats: Lebanon Sowing Seeds of Revived Opium Trade