Ministry of Health and Lamisil collaborate to help the quarter of UAE nationals suffering from diabetes
a poster developed by Novartis for Lamisil and endorsed by the Ministry of Health is to be distributed on World Diabetes Day.
Celebrated on the 14th November, World Diabetes Day was established in 1991 with the aim of raising awareness of diabetes and its complications. With more than a quarter of UAE nationals suffering from diabetes, the posters’ focus on early detection, effective treatment, good care and lack of fear is key.
Our sedentary lifestyles and bad eating habits are being blamed for the disease that constitutes 75% of the death among UAE nationals but only 31% among our non-national residents. With even children as young as ten being diagnosed with what was once an adults-only disease, diabetes has become one of the main priorities of the Ministry of Health.
Lamisil is teaming with the MoH to make people aware that foot complications could be one of the important reasons for hospitalisation in patients with diabetes – with risk of amputation 46 times higher in diabetics. If attention is not paid to proper foot care and treatment, a common and highly contagious infection such as athlete’s foot can result in loss of limb. Across the world, every 30 seconds a leg is lost to diabetes…
Characterised by itchy, flaky feet that blister or burn, athlete’s foot causes the skin on the foot to crack, enabling germs to enter and breed. If untreated, gangrene and ultimately amputation may take place.
As highlighted by the posters, effective treatment and early detection of diabetes are fundamental.
Unlike most topical antifungal treatments which simply stop the fungus growing (fungistatic), once-daily Lamisil Spray or Cream also kills the fungus (fungicidal) and provides long-term protection against re-infection.
Ideal management for the prevention and treatment of diabetic foot problems includes:
• Regular inspection of the feet
• Education of people with diabetes and healthcare professionals
• Appropriate footwear
• Rapid treatment of all foot problems
- UAE Ministry of Health and Sanofi-aventis announce the launch of ‘The 1st UAE National
- MINISTRY OF HEALTH AND ORAL-B ANNOUNCE INITIATIVE TO IMPROVE ORAL HEALTH FOR CHILDREN IN THE UAE.
- Department of Health and Medical Services and Emaar Healthcare Group join hands with Joslin Diabetes Center and Harvard Medical Faculty Physicians
- More than half of Gulf population suffering from abnormal cholesterol levels, increasing risk of heart diseases