Moroccan demonstrations to continue over pardoned pedophile
Moroccans remained defiant on Sunday, planning fresh protests over the pardon of a Spanish pedophile convicted of raping 11 children aged between four and 15.
The plans for protests, announced mainly on social media sites, came despite the king announcing on Saturday an investigation into his release.
In a statement carried on Morocco’s official MAP news agency, the royal palace said that the king had ordered a probe into his release and had been unaware of the nature of Galvan’s crimes.
Galvan is believed to have already left the country.
Fresh protests are expected to be held in Casablanca and Rabat next week after police dispersed demonstrations on Friday, according to AFP news agency.
Daniel Galvan Vina, said to be in his 60s, was pardoned by King Mohammed VI and freed on Tuesday from jail in Kenitra, north of the capital.
The investigation should “determine the responsibilities and the failures that led to this regrettable release,” the statement said.
“The king was never informed -- in any way or at any time -- of the seriousness of the abject crimes of which the person concerned was convicted,” the palace added.
“It is clear that the sovereign would never have consented” to his release, given the “monstrous crimes” committed, the statement concluded.
In recent months, there has been a wave of anger at pedophilia incidents in the country.
Thousands of Moroccans marched in Casablanca in June to condemn pedophilia and violence against children in the North African country.
On June 20, police arrested a suspected British pedophile after local residents overheard screams from a six-year-old girl he allegedly abducted.
And in May, a Casablanca court jailed a 60-year-old Frenchman for 12 years after convicting him of pedophilia.