Moroccan Parties Call for Women Quota System
The "Democratic Bloc, a coalition of four former opposition parties, called political parties to adopt the quota system in the parties' structures and in candidacies to elections to increase women participation in political decision-making, reported official Maghreb Arabe Presse (MAP) on Thursday.
The leftist parties said in a communiqué released on the international women day that the quota system is a transitional and provisional measure to overcome the present difficulties that hinder women accession to decision-making.
The parties' communiqué lists a series of claims, mainly the creation of a high council of women's rights as the sole interlocutor in issues of segregation against women, cancellation of all sexist provisions in Moroccan laws and adoption of measures to protect women against all forms of violence – Albawaba.com
© 2001 Al Bawaba (www.albawaba.com)
- Moroccan Government Set to Examine Draft Laws on Protecting Women against Violence
- a coalition of women’s organisations co-ordinated by the 50/50 group and now (sl), with support from enciss launches
- Three Moroccan Opposition Parties Urge Gov’t to Present New Electoral Law
- Yemen’s First Female Minister speaks out
- the launching of women’s elections watch plus: nine-days-to-go campaign and the atlantic declaration