Morocco dismantles extremist cells and attack plots
A successful counter-extremism fight starts with civil society, Moroccan analysts say. (AFP/File)
Morocco said Wednesday it has broken up a three-member extremist cell that was active in three cities. One of the network's members is the brother of a militant who had fought in Syria and Iraq and who is currently serving his sentence under the anti-terror law.
A statement from Rabat's interior ministry said three suspects had been detained by police in the northern cities of Oujda, Casablanca and Fez.
The arrests "revealed several dangerous extremist projects in advanced stages of preparation," the statement said.
It added that the cell members were linked to Daesh supporters "active in Syria and Iraq."
The ministry said the three had planned to attack "sensitive and crucial sites" in several cities.
"The cell's chief rented a safe house near to the city of Oujda, which was reserved for lodging and the preparation and manufacture of remote-detonated explosives," the statement added.
A raid on the property uncovered chemicals that the ministry said could have been used to make bombs.
According to the ministry, the suspects had plotted to join Daesh strongholds in Libya through the Kingdom's eastern border after carrying out their extremist plot.
The suspects will be referred to the judiciary as soon as the investigation that is being carried out under the specialized general prosecution is over.