Mortar Fire in Northern Iran
Mortar bombs hit northern Tehran overnight, but no one was injured as the missiles fell onto open space, the official IRNA news agency reported early Monday.
"Unidentified terrorists" carried out the attack, the second in successive nights in northern Tehran.
Authorities blamed Saturday's attacks on the opposition People's Mujahadeen, which also claimed responsibility.
The Iranian authorities said "agents" had been arrested after Saturday's attacks.
IRNA said Saturday's explosions occurred in the areas surrounding Park-e-Melat (Melat Park) and the Enqelab sport complex.
The Mujahadeen said the targets were the headquarters of the commander-in-chief of the Revolutionary Guards, General Rahim Safavi, and of the Tehran commander, Brigadier General Mohammed-Ali Aaziz Jaafari.
Iran says the end of Mujahedeen operations from Iraqi territory is one of the conditions for the normalization of relations between Iran and Iraq, who fought a war from 1980 to 1988 – TEHRAN (AFP)
© 2000 Al Bawaba (www.albawaba.com)