MSF: Despite denial, Saudi planes did bomb Yemen hospital
Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) members prepare a shipment of aid to Yemen. (AFP/File)
Click here to add Abdallah al-Mouallimi as an alert
Disable alert for Abdallah al-Mouallimi,
Click here to add Laurent Sury as an alert
Disable alert for Laurent Sury,
Click here to add Médecins Sans Frontières as an alert
Disable alert for Médecins Sans Frontières,
Click here to add New York as an alert
Disable alert for New York,
Click here to add Stephane Dujarric as an alert
Disable alert for Stephane Dujarric,
Click here to add United Nations as an alert
Disable alert for United Nations
“Saudi authorities are denying the evident truth of having destroyed a hospital,” Laurent Sury, head of MSF emergency operations, said.
According to MSF, one of its hospitals in northern Yemen had been struck by missiles on Monday.
No casualties were reported, but the hospital, which served around 150 people per week, was destroyed.
The international NGO’s comments come after Saudi UN envoy Abdallah al-Mouallimi denied that coalition planes hit the hospital.
“The Arab coalition aircraft did not carry out operations in Saada at the time of the reported incident,” Mouallimi told a news conference Wednesday. “The wise thing to do is to await the results of the investigation.”
On Thursday, UN spokesman Stephane Dujarric also responded to the Saudi denial by asserting that the attack on the MSF-run hospital was carried out by the Saudi-led coalition.
“The issue of who controls the skies and who has the air power, I think, is clear for many people to see,” Dujarric told reporters in New York.
- In Yemen, Red Cross reports aid blockade as medics say 185 lives lost in Aden
- UN condemns latest attack on MSF hospital in Yemen
- Three Britons Injured in Car Bomb Blast in Saudi Arabia
- US Resumes Bombing around Tora Bora as Hunt for Bin Laden Continues
- Fighting rages near Yemen's Aden as Houthis push deeper into Hadi stronghold