Mubarak and Kadhafi Discuss Consequences of US Attacks
Egypt's President Hosni Mubarak received a telephone call from Libyan leader Muammar Kadhafi on Sunday to discuss the consequences of the September 11 terrorist attacks in the United States, reported AFP, quoting an official report.
The leaders agreed on the need to reach "a formula guaranteeing international cooperation in the fight against terrorism," which they described as "organized crime aimed at intimidating peoples and destabilizing societies," the official MENA news agency said.
The report did not say what conclusions Mubarak and Kadhafi drew from the conversation.
Many Arab countries have expressed reservations over the anti-terrorist coalition called for by US President George W. Bush in the wake of the attacks, and fear Israel is taking advantage of the situation to intensify its attacks on the Palestinians.
Kadhafi, whose country does not have diplomatic relations with Washington, has described the attacks on the United States as "terrible" and offered humanitarian aid to the American people.
The United States still wants Tripoli to accept responsibility for the 1988 bombing of a PanAm airlines flight which crashed into the Scottish town of Lockerbie, leaving 270 dead, and compensate the families of the victims.
Kadhafi will visit Egypt in October in a bid to forge closer ties between the two countries, reported the Middle East Newsline (MENL) earlier this month.
The news service said that a series of high-level meetings had been arranged for the two countries to discuss strategic cooperation.
Mubarak is also planning a visit to Libya, said MENL, without setting a date.
A high-ranking Egyptian delegation participated Saturday in Libya’s celebration of the 32nd anniversary of its September 1 Revolution.
The delegation included Tantawi, Minister of Information Safwat Al Sherif, as well as a number of senior officials and army officers -- Albawaba.com
© 2001 Al Bawaba (www.albawaba.com)