Mubarak: Egypt will Respect Choice of New Syrian Leader
Egypt will respect Syria's choice of successor to the late President Hafez Assad, said Egypt's President Hosni Mubarak Sunday after a special cabinet meeting to discuss the situation in Syria.
"We understand that there is one candidate, Dr Bashar Assad, Mubarak told reporters without elaborating.
"We will support the Syrian leadership and respect the view of the Syrian people in their choice of president," he said.
Cairo has yet to announce who will represent Egypt at Assad's funeral, which is scheduled to be held Tuesday in his home village of Kerdaha, 300 kilometers north of Damascus.
Mubarak told reporters earlier that it was too early to determine whether he would attend, but said Egypt "will certainly participate in it as soon as the place and date are set."
Mubarak called for three days of official mourning following the announcement of the Syrian president's death Saturday - CAIRO (AFP)
© 2000 Al Bawaba (www.albawaba.com)
- Arab summit: Mubarak talks with Syrian, Sudanese leaders canceled as AL chief says ''calm diplomacy'' needed
- Egypt Shows Signs of Concern for Syrian Stability
- Egyptian President Calls Special Cabinet Meeting after Assad's Death
- Why all is quiet on the Syrian front
- Intensive diplomatic contacts between Arab leaders ahead of new summit