Israel’s right-wing Naftali Bennett calls for military operation in East Jerusalem
Economy Minister Naftali Bennet said Israel needed to "attack" rather than defend Jerusalem. (AFP/File)
Economy Minister Naftali Bennett called Wednesday for Israel to launch a military operation in East Jerusalem to root out terror infrastructure.
Bennett's comments came in an Army Radio interview a day after two Arab suspects from East Jerusalem’s Jebl Mukaber neighborhood stormed the Kehillat Bnei Torah Synagogue in Har Nof, killing five people.
The Bayit Yehudi leader called for an action similar to 2002's Operation Defensive Shield aimed at rooting out terror in the West Bank during the second intifada.
"We need to move from defense to attack, like we did in Operation Defensive shield," Bennett said.
"Go in with Border Police forces, make arrests, create intelligence channels, stay there on a permanent basis, not just when there's a terror attack," he added.
"Instead of just placing guards at every cafe and restaurant in Israel, at every synagogue and every kindergarten, we need to go to the source," he stated.
Bennett has repeatedly lashed out at the government's policies regarding the wave of terror attacks that have targeted Israel in the past month.
Following last week's terror attack in which an IDF soldier was killed in Tel Aviv, Bennett said, "This is a terrible terror attack which proves that the concept of hiding behind barriers is bankrupt."
He also spoke out against the police decision to to set up concrete barriers at Jerusalem light rail stations to prevent vehicular terror attacks which have killed three people in recent weeks.
"It is not possible to barricade people in the streets, but rather we must put those responsible for incitement, fireworks and the rioters in jail. This is correct security policy," he said.