Nasrallah: 20-30 Syrian workers murdered in Lebanon since Hariri assassination
Hizbullah leader, Hassan Nasrallah late Wednesday said that between 20 and 30 Syrian workers had been killed in anti-Syrian attacks since the Feb. 14 assassination of ex-premier Rafik al-Hariri, which Lebanon's opposition blamed on Syria. "I have information that 20 to 30 Syrian workers have been killed recently ... This is a disgrace," he said.
Meanwhile, he rejected a suggestion by President Bush that his group disarm and enter the political mainstream, saying the group will never leave Lebanon defenseless. Nasrallah criticized Bush for not responding to Lebanese demands that Israeli warplanes stop flying over Lebanon, and for not calling on Israel to free its Lebanese detainees.
"He (Bush) does nothing to stop the overflights and its aggression or for the release of the prisoners. Instead, he provides it (Israel) with protection," Nasrallah said in a three-hour interview on Hizbullah's Al-Manar television.
"We are ready to remain until the end of time a terrorist organization in Bush's view, but we are not ready to give up protection of our country, our people, their blood and their honor," Nasrallah said.
- Report: Fifth suspect in Lebanon's Rafik Hariri assassination identified
- Lebanese Party Leader Attacks Syrian Presence; Syrian Worker Murdered in Southern Lebanon
- Nasrallah blames Israel for Hariri murder
- Lebanon: Syrian worker killed in shooting attack
- Hizbullah denies report on involvement in Hariri murder