New Gulf Air CEO takes up his position
André Dosé, a 50-year-old Swiss National and Gulf Air’s new President and Chief Executive (PCE), has taken up his position effective today.
An airline industry veteran with more than 30 years experience, Dosé says he is relishing the challenge of reinstating Gulf Air to its rightful position as one of the world’s leading airlines.
“There is no doubt that Gulf Air is a strong brand in the aviation industry both regionally and internationally,” he says. “Unfortunately difficult market conditions over the past few years have transpired to hold back the airline in its ambitious plans. I want to position Gulf Air in its rightful place.”
Dose will spend the first few weeks of his tenure fully immersing himself in every area of the company’s operations in order to totally acquaint himself with the business, prior to unveiling a new long term business plan.
Gulf Air board of Directors Deputy Chairman Mahmood Al Kooheji, welcomed Dose. He said he was delighted to have secured the services of such an experienced aviation professional.
“I am looking forward to working in tandem with such a seasoned and knowledgeable professional as André, in order to build a bright future for Gulf Air and its employees,” he said.
"There is a lot of hard work and some tough decisions to be made, but everyone at Board and senior management level is confident that we can achieve our new goals.”
Dose started his aviation career in the mid 70s with Swissair in various positions. He later became a pilot in the US and then joined Crossair as a pilot.
He subsequently held a number of management positions reaching the position of Chief Executive Officer for this leading European regional airline in 2001. Later he became the driving force behind the development of Switzerland's new national carrier SWISS, which he left after serving as Chief Executive officer from 2001 until 2004.
Dose has also served as a consultant for various airlines, organisations and private equity companies, besides being the chairman and member of several airline bodies.
About Gulf Air
Founded in 1950, Gulf Air, owned by the Kingdom of Bahrain and the Sultanate of Oman, is the only truly Pan Gulf carrier in the Middle East region.
The regional, geographic and cultural values that the airline has embraced over more than half a century are still central to defining its brand and service ethos.
Today the airline’s network stretches from Europe to Asia and covers 50 cities in 30 countries. The fleet comprises 34 aircraft and has the distinct advantage of possessing the strongest network across the Middle East.
A platform for sustained commercial operation has been established over the past three years as part of a multi-phased turnaround programme. It has also provided a framework for a succession of innovative products and services including the unique Sky Chefs and Sky Nannies that form part of Gulf Air’s ’smart airline, successful business’ vision.
International recognition has been achieved as a result of the turnaround programme leading to numerous awards for the airline’s innovative and high quality products and services: These include:
• Best Onboard Catering in First and Business Class (Skytrax World Airline Catering Awards 2005)
• Best designed in-flight magazine (American Creativity Awards,2005)
• Middle East Leading First Class Airline (World Travel Awards 2005)
• World’s Leading Airport Lounge (World Travel Awards 2005)
• Middle East & North African Platinum Best Airline (MENA Travel Awards 2004
• Most Improved Airline (Skytrax Awards 2004)
• Middle East First Class Airline (Arabian Business Awards)
• Best new product launch for in-flight services (PAX international Readership Awards)
• Best First Class Onboard Food (Skytrax Food Category 2004)
• Best Business Class Check-in (Skytrax Check-in Category 2004)
• Middle East region’s best airport restaurant for its restaurant in Bahrain International Airport lounge (PAX International Readership Awards 2005)