New Information Delays Lockerbie Trial Again
Lawyers for two Libyans accused of the Lockerbie bombing said Tuesday they had important new information about the downing of Pan American Flight 103 over the Scottish town in 1988, before the trial was again adjourned for another week.
It concerns the making of the bomb and the way it was put onto the London-New York flight, as well as "previously unknown links" between German police and a Palestinian group, said one of the defense team, William Taylor.
The three Scottish judges hearing the murder and conspiracy trial in Holland agreed to a defense request to adjourn until Tuesday, to enable the new information to be verified in Europe, the Middle East and United States.
Abdel Basset Ali al-Megrahi and Al-Amin Khalifa Fhimah have been on trial since May on charges of downing Pan Am Flight 103 on December 23, 1988, killing all 259 people on board the Boeing 747 plus 11 others on the ground.
Their lawyers said Tuesday that their new information related to the Popular Front for the Liberation of Palestine-General Command (PFLP-GC), which they have incriminated as the real perpetrators of the Lockerbie bombing.
Megrahi and Fhimah are alleged to have been Libyan agents who hid a bomb in a Samsonite suitcase that was then put on a flight out of Malta, tagged for transfer onto Pan Am Flight 103 in London -- CAMP ZEIST, Netherlands (AFP)
© 2000 Al Bawaba (www.albawaba.com)
- Lockerbie Fund Rejects Victims Relatives’ Appeal for Travel Expenses
- Resumption of Lockerbie Trial Delayed by Defense Pleas
- Lockerbie Trial to Resume with Long Awaited CIA Spy Testimony
- Lockerbie Trial Adjourned while Prosecution Studies Evidence
- CIA Accused of Withholding Information from Lockerbie Trial