New leader for Palestinian Liberation Front elected
The Palestine Liberation Front (PLF) elected a leader to succeed Abul Abbas, mastermind of the 1985 hijacking of the Achille Lauro passenger ship who died in US military custody in Iraq last month.
The group, once backed by Saddam Hussein, issued a statement saying its central committee unanimously elected PLF #2 Omar Shibli, also known as Abu Ahmed Halab. The statement provided no further details.
Shibli is originally from the Tiret Haifa village in Israel and served as Abul Abbas' deputy in the PLF hierarchy. He belongs to the Palestinian National Council and the Palestine Liberation Organization's Higher Political Council. (Albawaba.com)
© 2004 Al Bawaba (www.albawaba.com)
- Abu Abbas followers claim leader was assassinated by CIA, Mossad while in US custody in Iraq
- Sources: Abu Abbas flees from Baghdad, Syria refuses to allow him to enter
- Palestinian Leader Vows Anti-Israel Suicide Attacks
- US forces detain Abu Abbas in Baghdad; PA demands his release
- Abu Ali Mustapha Elected Head of Palestinian PFLP