New poll shows majority of Israelis back Yassin assassination; 43% support killing Arafat
In yet another indication of radicalism in Israeli society, an evening poll conducted Monday by the mass circulation Maariv daily showed that 61% of the population supports Israel's assassination of Hamas leader Sheikh Ahmad Yassin.
According to the survey, published on Friday, 21% thought Israel should not have killed the Hamas leader.
The poll also indicated that the Israeli public is more evenly divided on the question of whether Israel should also assassinate Palestinian leader Yasser Arafat. 43% believe Israel should kill Arafat, while 38% object to such an act.
According to the survey, respondents were already resigned to the "new terror wave" that is expected following the killing of Yassin with 55% believing "terror" will increase. 36% think it would not change while only 9% claimed the level of "terror" would decrease.
The survey sample was 504 adult Israelis, including Arabs -- which appears to indicate that among Jews - support for the Yassin killing was even higher. The margin of error was 4.2%. (Albawaba.com)
© 2004 Al Bawaba (www.albawaba.com)
- New poll: majority of Palestinians think Intifada should lead to demolition of Israel
- Poll: 80 percent of Palestinians Support Military Operations against Israel
- Tibi: Neither Barak nor Netanyahu is our Option
- Thousands of Arabs Show Support For Arafat
- Attempted assassination of Israeli officials in Jordan