Obama demands Hamas release captured Israeli soldier
U.S. President Barack Obama on Friday called for the release of a soldier Israel Defense Forces said was kidnapped by Hamas after a 72-hour cease-fire was broken.
Obama said he held Hamas responsible for the abduction of 2nd Lt. Hadar Goldin.
"I want to make sure they are listening. If they are serious about a cease-fire, that soldier needs to be unconditionally released," Obama told reporters from Washington.
A Hamas militant wearing a suicide vest allegedly detonated near a tunnel where Israeli soldiers were stationed. IDF officials believe Goldin was kidnapped at that time.
- Hamas says calm conditions not connected to fate of Israeli soldier
- Hamas in no hurry to reach prisoners swap deal with Israel
- Hamas: Israel raid complicates efforts to resolve soldier crisis
- Hamas not to change conditions for freeing Israeli soldier
- Palestinian groups demand release of 1000 Arab detainess for Israeli soldier release