Official: Saudi Arabia Knows Who Perpetrated Anti-Foreigner Bombings
Saudi Arabia has obtained information on who was behind a series of bombings aimed at foreigners in the kingdom, the deputy interior minister said on Wednesday.
Prince Ahmed bin Abdelaziz’s announcement came during a graduation ceremony for border policemen in Riyadh, said the daily Al Jazeera.
”It is now known to us who is behind these bombings," he told reporters, adding that such incidents occur "in all parts of the world.”
The price stressed that the kingdom was doing all it could to protect foreigners in the kingdom, the paper added.
He also said the kingdom had information that would help it find the mastermind of the attack on American doctor Gary Hatch, injured last week when a parcel bomb exploded as he opened it in his office in the city of Al Khobar two weeks ago.
The motive for the explosion is still unknown, said Reuters.
But Saudi newspapers have linked some of the previous attacks on Westerners to illegal activities such as trading in alcohol, the agency added.
A Briton and an Egyptian were slightly injured in an explosion in Riyadh in March, five months after two bombings in the same city killed another British citizen and injured several Westerners.
A Scotsman was blinded in one eye in another bombing in Al Khobar in December.
Three Westerners -- a Briton, a Canadian and a Belgian -- confessed on Saudi state television in February to involvement in last year's Riyadh bombings.
They said they were carrying out orders, but did not say who gave the orders or why – Albawaba.com
© 2001 Al Bawaba (www.albawaba.com)