Official sources deny media reports that main suspect in Jordanian bank loan scandal arrested;
Jordanian sources said that the Jordanian businessman, Majd al Shamayleh, the main suspect in the bank loan scandal case, will be brought to the country within a few hours, on board of a military plane.
The sources said Shamayleh has been arrested in another country, which has a bilateral security cooperation agreement with Jordan. However, an official Jordanian source, speaking to Albawaba.com, has denied these reports.
Shamayleh is the main suspect in the credit facilities fraud case in which more than 50 persons have been involved, including the former head of Jordan's General Intelligence Department, Samih al Battikhi. Al Battikhi was detained and released on bail. Furthermore, lien was imposed on the properties of many companies and individuals involved in the case.
Shamayleh's wife was detained by the Jordanian security services upon her return from Dubai shortly after the scandal was revealed. The credit facilities against insufficient collateral extended to Shamayleh by local banks amounted to a value close to 100 million dollars. (Albawaba.com)
© 2002 Al Bawaba (www.albawaba.com)
- Jordanian Government Refers Bank Loans Fraud Case to State Security Court
- Jordanian police interrogate main suspect in bank fraud
- Israel identifies two suspects behind teen kidnapping
- Jordan: Rumors on CIA Role in Revealing Bank Loan Fraud Case
- PA Officials Deny Reports About Serious Argument Between Arafat and Rajoub; Israel: Arafat Slapped Rajoub, Cursed Him