Officials: Suicide on the Rise among Israeli Soldiers
Israeli officials have reported a sharp rise in the frequency of suicide among the country's soldiers, reported Iran News Agency (IRNA).
According to army statistics, published by the Hebrew daily Ma'ariv on Tuesday, 23 Israeli army soldiers have committed suicide since the beginning of January 2000, according to IRNA.
The last incident of suicide occurred on September 16th, when a soldier, serving in an army unit along the Palestine-Lebanon borders, killed himself.
The soldier reportedly left a note saying that he was bereft of hope and couldn't continue living, the agency quoted the paper as saying.
According to IRNA, Israel has one of the highest suicide rates in the world - Albawaba.com
© 2000 Al Bawaba (www.albawaba.com)
- Israeli soldier commits suicide in West Bank mosque
- Israeli incursion in Tulkarem; Two Palestinians shot dead in Gaza Strip
- Two US soldiers, three Iraqis killed as American Army says suicide rate among troops in Iraq, Kuwait higher than average
- Suicide bombing attack kills seven Israeli soldiers
- Two Suicide Bombers Killed in Gaza Strip