One Beirut attacker identified, several suspects arrested
The source told the Daily Star the identified attacker was Syrian, but did not release his name or further details. (AFP/File)
Click here to add army as an alert
Disable alert for army,
Click here to add Beirut as an alert
Disable alert for Beirut,
Click here to add Burj al as an alert
Disable alert for Burj al,
Click here to add Burj al-Barajneh as an alert
Disable alert for Burj al-Barajneh,
Click here to add Daily Star as an alert
Disable alert for Daily Star,
Click here to add Internal Security Forces as an alert
Disable alert for Internal Security Forces,
Click here to add National News Agency as an alert
Disable alert for National News Agency,
Click here to add Reuters as an alert
Disable alert for Reuters,
Click here to add Samir Hammoud as an alert
Disable alert for Samir Hammoud
The identity of one of the two suicide bombers who carried out the attack in a southern Beirut suburb two days ago has been revealed, a judicial source said Saturday, as police arrested a number of people suspected of involvement in the ISIS-claimed attack.
The source told The Daily Star that the attacker behind the second blast in the suburb of Burj al-Barajneh was the one identified, although he would not release his name. The source could only say that his nationality was Syrian.
Meanwhile, a security source told The Daily Star that the Internal Security Forces' Information Branch arrested a number of people suspected of involvement in the Thursday evening attack, without elaborating.
Reuters cited a "senior security source" as saying five Syrians and a Palestinian were arrested over suspected involvement in the attack, which killed at least 46 people and wounded more than 200.
State Prosecutor Samir Hammoud also announced that investigators have identified the network to which the two suicide bombers belonged, according to the state-run National News Agency.
Investigations are ongoing to reveal the identity of the suicide bomber who was on a motorbike behind the first blast.
Several suspects were arrested and they are currently being questioned.
Hammoud's announcement comes as the army released images of three suspects who allegedly took part in Thursday's attack.
The news comes as Burj al-Barajneh began to gradually restore life after the bloody ISIS-claimed attack that ripped through the neighborhood, and as people continued to bury the victims for a second day.
Four funeral processions for victims were held earlier in the day in the suburb.
The residents of the suburbs said their last farewells to the victims as pickup trucks carrying the bodies of the deceased were carried across the neighborhood.
Mourners shouted: "Hussein, we will follow your call," and "We will never be humiliated."
Maintenance workers from the municipality of Burj al-Barajneh continued to lift the remaining rubble and opened the road after forensics and investigators finished examining the area.
Security forces were still surveying cameras in the area looking for clues.