Only Lebanon can solve Lebanese crisis, says Mufti Derian
Derian denounced the use of violence by Muslim hardline groups in Syria, Iraq, and consequently, Lebanon. (AFP/File)
Grand Mufti Abdel Latif Derian deplored the political crises plaguing Lebanon as a result of the conflict in Syria, insisting that only Lebanese could save their country.
“Our country is going through an exacerbating crisis due to the raging conflict next door, including the delay in the election of a president, and the deterioration in political, economic and social conditions,” Derian said Friday on the occasion of the Prophet Mohammad’s birthday, which will be celebrated Saturday. “Our country is menaced and our political system threatened,” Derian warned, stressing that only the Lebanese people could salvage Lebanon, “no matter how much [others] claim to be able to save us from this predicament.”
“Only with our free and strong will, our capacity to carry out dialogue and our long history of coexistence can we manage to get out of the trap,” Derian added.
He also denounced acts violence and discrimination perpetrated by Muslim extremists under the false claim of defending Islam.
- Could an Islamic world union solve the Syrian crisis?
- Saudi Grand Mufti slams Prophet Mohammad’s birthday celebrations as '\'heresy'\'
- Lebanon’s grand Mufti condemns extremism
- Lebanon crisis management: Watch Europe and learn, advises economic seminar by liberal Germans
- Presidential vacuum, Syrian crisis leaves Lebanon's business leaders more than worried