In open letter to Supreme Leader: Iranian intellectuals demand democracy
More than 300 reformist intellectuals Tuesday urged Iranian Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei in an open letter to end Islamic repression and lead the country towards democracy.
The letter, quoted by news agencies, warned that authoritarian methods and further violence against pro-democracy activists "will bear no result but exacerbate the crisis." The letter said such steps are "illegal" and lack "popular, religious, and moral legitimacy."
The letter added its signatories believed Iran must now move away from a despotic interpretation of Islam "to save the country." (Albawaba.com)
- Report: Obama sent letter to Khamenei ahead of Iran election
- Two Iranian Clergymen Deny they Petitioned Supreme Council to End Montazeri\'s House Arrest
- Ayatollah Khamenei okays consultation between clerics and GC
- Khamenei calls to show leniency towards detained students
- Iran leader backs Ahmadinejad re-election