Orascom Telecom Eyes Nigerian Market
Orascom Telecom, owned partly by Egyptian businessman Naguib Sawiris, is competing with 16 companies for the purchase of a majority stake in the Nigerian state-owned telephone company Nitel, reported the weekly Middle East Times.
According to Orascom's Investment Department Manager Amani Al Fiqy, Orascom bought the tender documents that say that the purchase will cover 51 percent of the company and that the buyer has to add two million lines within three years.
Large international companies have also bought the tender documents, including France Telecom, Africa Online and Telecom Malaysia, said the report - Albawaba.com
© 2001 Al Bawaba (www.albawaba.com)
- Sawiris at Samir Kassir Foundation lecture: Businesses can enhance democracy and poverty eradication
- Orascom Tel. catches the eye of European investors
- Orascom Telecom holds press conference to discuss acquisition strategy
- One bidder out in Nigerian mobile phone auction
- African telecoms market ripe for operator consolidation