PA: Mossad set up fake al Qaeda cell in Gaza Strip
The Palestinian Authority accused Israel's Mossad spy agency on Saturday of setting up a fake al Qaeda cell in Gaza so that Prime Minister Ariel Sharon could justify Israeli attacks in Palestinian areas.
"It is a big, big, big lie to cover (Sharon's) attacks and his crimes against our people everywhere," Palestinian President Yasser Arafat told reporters at his headquarters in the West Bank city of Ramallah.
Palestinian Information Minister Yasser Abed Rabbo pointed to an alleged Israeli plot. "There are certain elements who were instructed by the Mossad to form a cell under the name of Al Qaeda in the Gaza Strip in order to justify the assault and the military campaigns of the Israeli occupation army against Gaza," Abed Rabbo said. (Albawaba.com)
© 2002 Al Bawaba (www.albawaba.com)
- Settler injured in Gaza Strip ambush; Israel sentences Hamas member to 27 years in prison for alleged ties with Al Qaeda
- Israel: Al Qaeda setting up Syrian bases in Turkey
- PA Accuses Israel of Violating Ceasefire Again
- Barak Announces Sanctions against PA Territories Following Attack in Southern Tel Aviv
- Hamas urges meeting, condemns attacks on Fatah leaders