Ramallah grinds to a halt following death of 14-year-old boy at the hands of the IDF

Ramallah grinds to a halt following death of 14-year-old boy at the hands of the IDF
0.80 6

Published December 9th, 2013 - 06:59 GMT via SyndiGate.info

Rate Article:

 
PRINT Send Mail
comment (0)
Female mourners grieve during the funeral of 14-year-old Palestinian Waji al-Ramhi in the Jelazoun refugee camp in the West Bank city of Ramallah on December 8, 2013. (AFP)
Female mourners grieve during the funeral of 14-year-old Palestinian Waji al-Ramhi in the Jelazoun refugee camp in the West Bank city of Ramallah on December 8, 2013. (AFP)
More >
Ramallah
,
Beit El
,
Al Ramahi
,
Al Beirah
,
Wajeeh Wagdi Al Ramahi
,
Israeli government

Palestinian youth from the Al Jalazoun Refugee Camp yesterday forced commercial establishments in Ramallah and Al Beirah to close their businesses following the killing of 14-year-old Wajeeh Wagdi Al Ramahi by an Israeli sniper stationed in the nearby Israeli colony of Beit El.

The Al Ramahi family yesterday vowed to sue the occupation forces in international courts.

Demonstrations organised in various areas of Ramallah and Al Beirah over his death gained momentum because they coincided with the 26th anniversary of the Palestinian first Intifada (uprising).

The father of the boy said that the Israeli occupation forces murdered his son while he was playing football in the playground of the refugee camp’s school.

Wajeeh took a break while playing and went to a nearby grocery store to buy juice when he was shot in the back,” he told Gulf News. “My son was murdered in cold blood for no reason at all.”

Al Ramahi said that the bullet was fired from a tower of the nearby Israeli colony of Beit El.

“My son sustained serious injury and was taken to the Palestinian Medical Complex in Ramallah but was declared dead,” he said.

“I hold the occupation’s government and military forces responsible for Wajeeh’s death. His blood will not be forgotten,” he maintained.

Community leaders in the camp near Ramallah have stressed that there had been no clashes whatsoever with the occupation forces before the sniper shot Wajeeh.

The occupation forces have declined to comment on the shooting, and by so doing have not even provided what the Palestinians usually brand as baseless and fictional versions of occupation killings.

In reporting the death on Sunday, the Israeli daily the Yadeoit Ahranoth also noted the refusal by the occupation forces to comment on the killing.

The Palestinian Presidency in Ramallah has condemned the killing. “The Israeli government is accountable for this organised terrorism against unarmed Palestinian kids,” it said in a statement. “This Israeli policy destroys the peace process in the region,” the statement said.

According to medical and security statistics released after the shooting of Al Ramahi, since the beginning of this year occupation forces have killed a total of 26 Palestinians from the West Bank.

Advertisement

© Al Nisr Publishing LLC 2013. All rights reserved.

Post new comment

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.